Clean Greens Market Seasonal Opening
Clean Greens is a small nonprofit organization, owned and operated by residents of Seattle’s Central District. We are committed to delivering clean produce to all people in our communities.dedicated to growing and delivering clean, healthy, and fair produce for everyone at reasonable prices.
The goal of the Clean Greens & Market program is five-fold:
1. To identify and harvest vegetables requested by the community. Selling these vegetables in markets located in the Central District area that is affordable to all people, especially low income people.
2. Foster greater understanding and appreciation of local food, nutrition and health; this will help to lower the risk of high blood pressure high cholesterol and diabetes that is very common among African Americans.
3. Provide the Central Area residents with interest and/or experience in farming access to farm land, tools, mentors and resources.
4. Provide children opportunities to visit the farm, grow, harvest and learn about where food comes from, learn about ecological systems and water cycles and connect to the Earth which sustains us.
5. Provide farm job, training and apprentice opportunities to African-American and inner city residents.
Clean Greens recognizes that African-Americans are underrepresented in farming in Washington and that low income communities frequently do not have access to fresh, wholesome produce and have higher rates of poor diet related illnesses such as diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and elevated cholesterol.
<<We are working to change this in our community.>>
For more information and how to reach us, please visit: http://cleangreensfarm.com
Thank you for your interest in our food justice work!
With the generous donations we receive, we will convert our truck to be a refrigerated truck, and we will then hire two young men from our community to harvest and transport the produce from the farm to the markets.
why we’re doing it
We are doing this work so that low income people can eat healthy at a reasonable price. We hope to lower the risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes in our community. In the long term, we also aim to create green jobs for underprivileged people.We hope to make our food justice work both environmentally and economically sustainable.