The Bread Project Forever Kitchen
It all started with the smell of baking bread wafting through the air. Bread; the heart of the home. You can help us to create a new bigger kitchen and deliver more projects to more people.
’The Bread Project’ idea is simple. Baking bread is a great way to bring people together, break down barriers and develop skills and confidence. The kitchen we use is TINY! But despite that we have engaged 137 local people with a range of activities:
• a course for unemployed adults (22 people took part)
• a Festive feast event for older people (13 people attended)
• a blackberry picking and smoothie making event for the local sure start parent and toddlers (20 parent and 30 toddlers)
• a pizza making day for local parents and children (8 adults and 16 children)
• a training for tutors from 10 different countries (16 people attended)
• a 6 week baking course for new to English speakers (12 people attended)
Our ambition now is to keep rising (note the bread reference) and run more courses with lots more people and you can help this happen. You can also join us –meet new people, enjoy the art of baking and have something to share at the end of the day.
What we’ll do:
- We will turn an underused storage space into a commercial quality kitchen
- We will use the finished kitchen to run and support, community events and courses based at the Centre and beyond
- We will generate income by hiring the kitchen out and running training courses, enabling us to offer free activities
- E.G Courses will include; one day course in bread making; Pizza making says for parents and children;
- E.G. Community events will include; Apple Pie Day; Local Festival events and Healthy Eating events
Why it’s a great idea:
A commercial quality kitchen will enable lots more food events, courses and activities for lots more people.
People will gain new cooking and baking skills that will help them in lots of ways including; confidence, self esteem, new friends, transferable skills into work, better quality of living, improved health and well-being.
In a nut shell it will give people a new lifestyle with new friends and good food.
How we’ll get it done:
- We will clear and make ready the space we want to use
- We will get expert advise regarding fitting the space and equipment for a commercial kitchen
- We will involve past participants in the project to bring in their skills