Alabama Street Tapestry Project
The Alabama Street Tapestry project is a volunteer driven neighborhood project designed to create a bright spot on an otherwise neglected stretch of Alabama Street. The iron fence that runs along the south side of Alabama, immediately off Poplar, will be woven with bright fabrics to turn the fence into a tapestry. Additionally, the tapestry sections of fence will be interspersed with sections of sunflowers, all to provide a bright spot to individuals that live and work in this area.
- Raise the Dollars.
- Choose the Fabric.
- Set the date in May for the Mobile Porch & St. Mary’s “weave-a-thon”.
- Purchase the Fabric and Sunflowers.
- Prep the ground for sunflowers.
- Recruit neighborhood businesses and residents to participate.
- Confirm volunteer support for installation date.
- Create a work of art & a better community.
why we’re doing it
“The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.” – Pablo Picasso
This tired, forgotten, stretch of road does little to uplift the individuals that pass by it regularly. St. Mary’s would like to help create a mini oasis to convey to all the individuals that live and work in proximity the important role each one plays in the tapestry of the neighborhood. Our self worth is closely paralleled to the environment we inhabit. When the world around us feels discarded, so to do we. This project endeavors to convey the importance we believe each person brings to the world.