We write our own stories.
Each of us carries a personal childhood story that has shaped us and how we live our individual lives today. For many of us, we have spent up to over 12 years within an education system that is growing more and moreobsolete.
Now, imagine a new society where our youth will create their lives rather than simply survive them.
The vision of Agile Learning Center Oahu is an offering from the heart―a new space where learning becomes a creative lifestyle.
“In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete.” ― R. Buckminster Fuller
We invite you to help us create this new model.
What is an Agile Learning Center?
Agile Learning Centers are an educational model that creates fun, intelligent, magical communities. Communities of happy, actualized people with a deep connection to place and full access to a globalized network of other communities that share resources, practices, tools, stories, and experiences―an upward spiral of human potential.
We practice a simple cycle.
1. Intention―What do you want to accomplish? We choose what we want to do, both as individuals and as a group.
2. Creation―What are you going to do about it? We spend our days exploring and inventing. Once we know what we want, we create it.
3. Reflection―What did you learn from your choices? We develop awareness of what worked and what didn’t, so we can move forward more powerfully.
Agile Learning Center Oahu
ALC Oahu will be an alternative learning space. This model will be rooted in partnerships with local and non-local businesses, organizations, and individuals who offer an infinite variety of skills, knowledge, passions, and resources. It is a gathering space for people to learn with and from each other, while engaged with our local community resources and beyond.
As our youth lead their own learning with the support of our facilitators in an intentional community, they may experience a fueled or renewed sense of:
belonging and validation
enthusiasm and focus
personal power and purpose
Our maximum facilitator to student ratio will be 1:8.
We aim to expand ALC Oahu to a full-time learning center that provides mentorship and resources for ages 7-18, by 2016.
To get there, a 1-year pilot program will begin this fall of 2015 as an after school program as well as a full-time homeschool resource hub, serving ages 12-18.
With 2 full-time facilitators as we start up, we will accept up to 16 students into the pilot program. Learn more about it here.
What We Need
$100,000 will provide us with start-up funding toward our 1-year pilot program.
A general breakdown of the use of funds:
50% Staff | Facilitator Training
40% Student Projects | Travel (plenty of field trips) | Fundraising
10% Overhead | Other Indirect Costs
Just in case we don’t reach our $100K goal, here is a list of our highest priorities:
1. Get our first ALC Oahu facilitators to ALF Summer 2015, which is a four-week immersive experience that serves as a co-creative training and incubator for the Agile Learning Centers network.
2. Cover the costs of establishing ALC Oahu as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
3. Compensate our 2 full-time facilitators so that they can powerfully provide for our students.
4. Create the most efficient and affordable means for our pilot-year students so that they can actively participate in the development of ALC Oahu.
In Hawai’i, we represent a melting pot of cultures. We are an international nucleus of cultural wisdom and beauty that stems from the islands of Polynesia, Asia, North America, and many other countries throughout the planet. In response to this, ALC Oahu strives to be an inclusive and culturally-sensitive community of purpose.
We also live in an age where information is at our fingertips. Far more important are the skills of finding it, filtering it, integrating it, and using it in new and creative ways to build something valuable.
The ability to quickly translate a vision or idea into tangible results has always been a valuable skill. In today’s rapidly evolving world, it is a fundamental capacity of the leaders in every field. Daily activity at an Agile Learning Center is organized around this understanding.
Over time, and with both local and global support, ALC Oahu will pioneer a dynamic and innovative model for synergetic learning through trust, respect and harmony.