WILL LEVITT’S FUNDRAISER:
REFUSE TO REPEAT: $100,000 IN 100 DAYS TO SUPPORT LGBT EQUALITY
BENEFITING: Human Rights Campaign
EVENT DATE: JUL 15, 2015
DAYS TO GO: 73
BENEFITTING HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN
Full site: www.refusetorepeat.org
SO WHAT’S THE DEAL?
You know those anti-LGBT bills you’ve been hearing about in Indiana and Arkansas?
Right now, there are over 100 bills like these on their way to becoming law in more than half the states in the U.S. (28 states, to be exact).
The bills passed in Indiana and Arkansas may just be the beginning. In states like Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Missouri, lawmakers continue to push for this legislation.
Many of them are masked as religious freedom bills, that’s why they’re known as Religious Freedom Restoration Acts (RFRAs). Truth is, they do nothing but legalize discrimination against LGBT citizens.
Yeah, we know. Insane. But it’s true, and we won’t stand for it.
WHAT WOULD THIS HATEFUL LEGISLATION ALLOW FOR?
- Business owners could claim that they are exempt from serving LGBT customers on the grounds of religious freedom
- City or county clerks could deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples on the basis of religious freedom
- Draft legislation in South Carolina and Oklahoma would bar state employees from issuing same-sex marriage licenses at all
- Allow for adoption services to deny service to same-sex couples
- Certain bills, including one nearly passed in Arizona last year, would allow not just companies but private citizens to sue their employer on religious grounds. For example, an employee could sue his or her employer for announcing a same-sex wedding at a staff meeting.
DO THE BILLS ONLY TARGET LGBT CIVIL RIGHTS?
The bills were by and large created with the intention of denying rights to members of the LGBT community. However, the bills would allow discrimination towards any minority group: blacks, Latinos, Jews, Muslims, atheists — or divorcees for that matter.
Let’s tell these states that this legislation is so-not-cool. Like, for real.
SERIOUSLY THOUGH, THESE BILLS ARE CRAZY.
We think so too.
The time to stop this discriminatory legislation is now.
OK, I GET IT. WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
All donations directly support the Human Rights Campaign, one of the country’s largest, most respected and most effective organizations advocating for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights.
The funds you donate here go directly towards work on defeating these bills.
This donation will be used exclusively for HRC’s work on state anti-LGBT legislation.
Since the HRC’s work includes lobbying Congress, according to federal law, your gift can not be classified as tax deductible (more here).